The Sarasota Alliance for Historic Preservation, Inc., a non-profit, publicly-supported 501(c)(3) organization’s mission is to “preserve and enhance our historic places.” It was incorporated in 1985 to save architect Dwight Baum’s El Vernona Hotel, built in 1925 by owner Owen Burns, and which by the 1980s was known as the John Ringling Towers. The highly publicized effort to save the towers during the late 1990s raised the community’s consciousness and the ire of those interested in saving the historical integrity of Sarasota, Florida.
The Alliance is comprised of 203 residents, visitors, artists, architects, engineers, historians, builders, archaeologists, Realtors, planners, designers, and writers working together to preserve and encourage others to preserve – not only the remaining significant landmarks – but also the contributing structures that define Sarasota County. Benefits of membership include participation in historic homes tours, walking tours, rehabilitation projects, workshops, seminars and much more.
LEARN MORE AT https://preservesrq.org/